|The translatin of the Meanings of Sahih Al-Bukhari, Arabic – English, Volume-4, translated by Dr Muhamad Muhsin Khan, Darussalam publishers and distributors
60 – The book of the stories of the Prophets
Narrated Samira: Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) said, “Two persons came to me at night (in dream) (and took me along with them). We passed by a tall man who was so tall that I was not able to see his head and that person was Abraham (Ibrahim).”
Narrated Mujahid that when the people mentioned before Inn Abbas that Ad-Dajjal would have the word Kafir (i.e. disbeliever) or the letters K F R (the root of the Arabic verb ‘disbelieve’) written on his forehead, I heard Ibn Abbas saying, ‘I did not hear this, but the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, ‘If you want to see Abraham (Ibrahim), then look at your companion (i.e. the Prophet, peace be upon him) but Moses (Musa) was a curly-haired, brown man (who used to ride) a red camel, the reins of which was made of fibres of date-palms. As if I were now looking at him descending down a valley.'”
Narrated Abu Hurairah: Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) said, “Abraham (Ibrahim) did his circumcision with Qaddum (an adze) at the age of eighty.”
Narrated Abu Hurairah: Abraham (Ibrahim) did not tell a lie except on three occasions. Twice for the sake of Allah, when he said, “I am sick1,” and he said, “(I have not done this but) the big idol has done it.” The (third was) that while Abraham (Ibrahim) and Sarah (his wife) were going (in a journey), they passed by (the territory of) a tyrant from amongst the tyrants. Someone said to the tyrant, “This man [i.e. Abraham (Ibrahim)] is accompanied by a very charming lady.” So, he sent for Abraham and asked him about Sarah saying, “Who is this lady?” Abraham (Ibrahim) said, “She is my sister.” Abraham (Ibrahim) went to Sarah and said, “O Sarah! There are no believers in the surface of the earth except you and I. This man asked me about you and I have told him that you are my sister, so don’t contradict my statement.” The tyrant then called Sarah and when she went to him, he tried to take hold of her with his hand, but (his hand got stiff and) he was confounded. He asked Sarah, “Pray to Allah for me, and I shall not harm you.” So Sarah asked Allah o cure him and he got cured. He tried to take hold of her for the second time, but [his hand got as stiff as (or stiffer than) before and] was more confounded. He again requested Sarah, “Pray to Allah for me, and I will not harm you.” Sarah asked Allah again and he became alright. He then called one of his guards (who had brought her) and said, “You have not brought me a human being but have brought me a devil.” The tyrant then gave Hajar as a girl-servant to Sarah. Sarah came back [to Abraham (Ibrahim)] while he was offering prayer. Abraham (Ibrahim) gesturing with his hand, asked, “What has happened?” She replied, “Allah has spoiled the evil plot of the infidel (or immoral person) and gave me Hajar for service.” (Abu Hurairah then addressed his listeners saying, “That (Hajar) was your mother, O Bani Ma-is-Sama2 (i.e. the Arabs).
- The idolaters invited Abraham (Ibrahim) to join them in their celebrations outside the city, but he refused, claiming that he was sick. When he was left alone, he came to the idols and broke them into pieces. When the idolaters questioned him, he claimed that he had not destroyed their idols but the chief idol had, which Abraham (Ibrahim) left undisturbed and on whose shoulder he had put an axe to lay the accusation on it.
- Bani Ma-is-Sama means ‘the children of the water of sky (rain)’. It is said that he called the Arabs by this name because they depended for their livelihood on natural pastures grown by means of rain.
Narrated Umm Sharik: Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) ordered that house-lizards should be killed and said, “It blew (the fire) on Abraham (Ibrahim).”
Narrated Abu Hurairah: The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “On the Day of Resurrection Abraham (Ibrahim) will meet his father Azar whose face will be dark and covered with dust. (The Prophet) Abraham (Ibrahim) will say to him: ‘Didn’t I tell you not to disobey me?’ His father will reply: ‘Today I will not disobey you.’ Abraham (Ibrahim) will say: ‘O Lord! You promised me not to disgrace me on the Day of Resurrection; and what will be more disgraceful to me than cursing and dishonoring my father?’ Then Allah will say (to him): ‘I have forbidden Paradise for the disbelievers.’ Then he will be addressed, ‘O Abraham (Ibrahim)! Look! What is underneath your feet?’ He will look and there he will see a Dhikh1 (or hyena – an animal) bloodstained, which will be caught by the legs and thrown in the (Hell) Fire.
- Abraham’s (Ibrahim) father will be transformed into an animal and thrown into the Fire, for his Muslim son’s intercession will not avail, as he was an infidel. Abraham (Ibrahim) then will repudiate his father.
Narrated Ibn Abbas: The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “You will be gathered (on the Day of Judgment), bare-footed, naked and not circumcised.” He then recited:
“As We began the first creation, We shall repeat it: (It is) a promise binding upon Us. Truly we shall do it.” (Quran 21:104)
He added, The first to be dressed on the Day of Resurrection will be Abraham (Ibrahim) (peace be upon him),and some of my companions will be taken towards the left side [i.e. to the Fire], and I will say: ‘My companions! My companions!’ It will be said: ‘They had been renegades (deserted Islam) after you left him.’ Then I will say as the pious slave of Allah [i.e. Jesus (Isa) (peace be upon him) said: ‘I said not to them except what You commanded me – to worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord. And I was a witness over them as long as I was among them; but when You took me up, You were the Observer over them, and You are, over all things, Witness. If You should punish them – indeed they are Your servants; but if You forgive them – indeed it is You who is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.’” (Quran 5:117, 118)
Narrated Abu Hurairah: The people said, “O Allah’s Messenger! Who is the most honourable amongst the people (with Allah)?”. He said, “Al-Muttaqun (the most pious and righteous) amongst them.” They said, “We do not ask you about this.” He said, “Then Joseph (Yusuf), Allah’s Prophet, the son of Allah’s Prophet, the son of Allah’s Prophet, the son of Allah’s Khalil [i.e. Abraham (Ibrahim)]. They said, “We do not want to ask about this.” He said, “Then you want to ask about the descent of the Arabs. Those who were the best in the Pre-Islamic Period of Ignorance will be the best in Islam provided they comprehend the religious knowledge.”
|The translatin of the Meanings of Sahih Al-Bukhari, Arabic – English, Volume-2, translated by Dr Muhamad Muhsin Khan, Darussalam publishers and distributors
25 – The book of Hajj (Pilgrimage to Makkah)
(4) CHAPTER. The superiority of Al-Hajj-ul-Mabrur (most probably means the Hajj which is performed with the intention of seeking Allah’s pleasures only and is in accordance with the Prophet’s legal ways; without committing sins and is acceptable to Allah).
No. 1519. Narrated Abu Hurairah: The Prophet (peace be upon him) was asked, “Which is the best deed?” He said, “To believe in Allah and His Messenger (Muhammad).” He was then asked, “Which is the next (in goodness)?” He said, “To participate in struggle (Jihad) in Allah’s Cause.” He was again asked, “Which is the next?” He said, “To perform Hajj-Mabrur.”
Narrated Ibn Abbas: The people of Yemen used to come for Hajj and used not to bring enough provisions with them and used to say that they depend on Allah. On their arrival in Al-Madina they used to beg the people, and so Allah revealed, “…And take a provision (with you) for the journey, but the best provision is At-Taqwa (piety, righteousness)…” (Quran 2:197)
Narrated Ibn Abbas: Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) made Dhul-Hulaifa as the Miqat for the people of Al-Madina; Al-Juhfa for the people of Sham; Qarn-al-Manazil for the people of Najd; and Yalamlan for the people of Yemen; and these Mawaqit¹ are for the people at those very places, and besides them for those who come through those places with the intention of performing Hajj and Umra. Whoever is living within these boundaries can assume Ihram² from the place he starts, and the people of Makkah can assume Ihram (for Hajj only) from Makkah.
- Mawaqit are places at which one should assume the state of Ihram for the purpose of Hajj or Umra.
- Ihram is a state in which one is prohibited to practice certain deeds that are lawful at other times. The ceremonies of Umra and Hajj are performed during such state. When one assumes this state, the first thing one should do is to express mentally and orally one’s intention to assume this state for the purpose of performing Hajj or Umra. Then Talbiya³ is recited, two sheets of unstitched clothes are the only clothes one wears; (1) Izar: worn below one’s waist and the other (2) Rida: worn around upper part of the body.
- Talbiya: Labbaik Allahumma labbaik, labbbaika la sharika Laka labbaik, innal-hamda wan-ni’mata Laka wal-mulk, la sharika Laka’ (I respond to Your call O Allah, I respond to Your Call, and I am obedient to Your Orders, You have no partner, I respond to Your Call. All the praises, thanks and blessings are for You. And You have no partners with You.)